Professor and Extension Specialist; Ph.D.,
University of California, Berkeley, 1989; Environmental and Resource
Economics, Regulation and use of Biotechnology
Teaching and Research Interests
Dr. Frisvold joined the faculty at The University of Arizona in
1997. He has been a visiting scholar at the National Institute
of Rural Development in Hyderabad, India, a lecturer at The Johns
Hopkins University, and Chief of the Resource and Environmental
Policy Branch of USDA's Economic Research Service.
interests include domestic and international environmental policy,
as well as the causes and consequences of technological change
in agriculture. In 1995-96, Dr. Frisvold served on the Senior
staff of the President's Council of Economic Advisers with responsibility
for agricultural, natural resource, and international trade issues.
He is a past co-editor of the Journal of
Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Awards and Honors
Fellow, Rural Development Research Consortium
Technical Communication Award for Scholarly/Professional Articles,
Society for Technical Communiation
Letter of appreciation from President William Jefferson Clinton for
analysis of Everglades restoration policies
AREC 217, Resource and Environmental Economics
• Frisvold, G., R. Tronstad, and J. Reeves. In International
Trade and Policies for Genetically
Modified Products. R. E. Evenson and V. Santaniello (eds.) Wallingford,
CABI Publishing. 2006.
• Frisvold, G. “Bt Resistance Management: The Economics of
Refuges.” In Economics of Regulation of Agricultural
Biotechnologies. R. Just, D. Zilberman, and J. Alston (eds.). Norwell, MA: Springer.
• Frisvold, G., P. Wilson, and R. Needham. “Implications of
Federal Farm Policy and State Regulation for Agricultural Water
Use.” In B. Colby and K. Jacobs (eds). Arizona
Water Policy: Management Innovations in an Urbanizing, Arid Region. Washington, DC: Resources
for the Future Press. 2006.
• Frisvold, G., J.M. Reeves, and R. Tronstad. “Bt Cotton
Adoption in the United States and China: International Trade and
Welfare Effects.” AgBioForum 9 (2006), 69-78.
• Huffman, W.E., G. Norton, G. Traxler, G. Frisvold, and
J. Foltz. “Winners and Losers: Formula versus Competitive Funding
of Agricultural Research.” Choices 24 (2006), 269-274.
• Frisvold, G. “Agriculture, Federal Farm Programs and Water
Use in the Western United
States.” In Negotiating
Tribal Water Rights: Fulfilling Promises in the Arid West. B.G. Colby, J.E.
Thorson, and S. Britton (eds.). Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
2005, pp. 20-23.
• Frisvold G. “How Federal Farm Programs Affect Water Use,
Quality, and Allocation among
Sectors.” Water Resources Research 40 (2004), Art. No. W12S05.
• Frisvold, G., J. Sullivan, and A. Raneses. “Genetic Improvements
in Major US Crops: the Size and Distribution of Benefits.” Agricultural
• Frisvold, G. and M. Caswell. “Planning and Financing Water Projects
on the U.S.-Mexico Border: Past Present and Future.” In Both
Sides of the Border: Transboundary Environmental Management Issues
Facing Mexico and the United States. L. Fernandez and R. Carson (eds.)
Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2002.
• Frisvold, G., and R. Tronstad. “Economic Effects of Bt Cotton Adoption
and the Impact of Government Programs.” In Economic
and Environmental Impacts of Agbiotech: A Global Perspective. N. Kalaitsandonakes
(ed.). New York: Kluwer-Plenum Academic Publishers. 2002.
• Frisvold, G., K. Fernicola, and M. Langworthy. “Market Returns,
Infrastructure and the Supply and Demand for Extension Services.” American
Journal of Agricultural Economics 83(2001):758-763.
• Frisvold, G. and M. Caswell. “Transboundary Water Management:
Game-theoretic Lessons for Projects on the U.S.-Mexico Border.” Agricultural
• Frisvold, G. and B. Kuhn, eds. Global
Environmental Change and Agriculture. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing, 1999.
• Frisvold, G. “Does Supervision Matter? Some Hypothesis Tests
Using Indian Farm-level Data.” Journal
of Development Economics 43(1994):217-238.
• Frisvold, G. “Emerging Issues in the Allocation of Public
Agricultural Research Funds.” American
Journal of Agricultural Economics 73(1991):876-881.
• Frisvold, G., R. Mines and J. Perloff. “Effects of Job Site
Sanitation and Living Conditions on the Health and Welfare of Agricultural
Workers.” American Journal of Agricultural
Selected Publications in Progress
• Frisvold, G. and J.M. Reeves. “The Costs and Benefits
of Refuge Requirements: The Case of
Bt Cotton.” Ecological Economics (2007 In Press).
• Frisvold, G. and K. Emerick. “Rural-Urban Water Transfers with
Applications to the U.S.-
Mexico Border Region.” In A. Dinar, J. Albiac, and J. Sanchez-Soriano
(eds.) Game Theory
and Policy Making in Natural Resources and the Environment. New
York: Routledge Press.