Irrigation System Design
Focus: Basic features of irrigation controllers, including programming and adjusting for ET / plant water demand, season, and weather events.
- Explain the benefits of using an irrigation controller
- Identify the necessary information to create an irrigation schedule
- Determine the frequency and duration of irrigation for separate plant zones
- Be familiar with the features of various irrigation controllers.
- Input a schedule into an irrigation controller
- Know when to adjust an irrigation controller’s schedule
- Make an irrigation system more efficient
- Distinguish which system is best for the landscape application & explain why (i.e., differentiate between turf and landscape systems)
- Discuss factors affecting the design and installation of drip irrigation systems
- Identify the basic components of a drip irrigation system, indicate their proper order placement, and explain their function
- Determine approximately how many drip emitters should be applied per plant and where they should be located
- Describe how to “trouble shoot” irrigation system problems and give examples of “common” problems and solutions